Cross posted from Blog for Darfur.
The 112th Congress is just settling in to their offices, committee assignments, and legislative priorities. This is a great time to ask them to get involved on Sudan. And we have an easy way for you to do just that – by calling 1-800-GENOCIDE, you can connect directly with your senators and representatives, and you’ll have easy talking points at your disposal.
The House of Representatives Sudan Caucus is a group for Representatives that are interested in Sudan-related initiatives. The Caucus offers an opportunity for members of Congress to be remain up-to-date on Sudan news and analysis; participate in briefings and other events; and be well-informed about opportunities to take action on sign-on letters and legislation. There are more than 90 new members of the House of Representatives that will have their first opportunity to join the Caucus. This is a great time to get them onboard. Additionally, even former members of the Caucus will need to rejoin.
And now is a great time to get your senator on the record about the referendum on Southern Sudanese independence and the situation in Darfur.
Take action today by following these easy steps:
- Dial: 1-800-GENOCIDE
- You’ll be prompted to enter your zip code.
- Follow the instructions on the recording to be connected to your Representative (option 1) or Senator (option 2).
- If you call during business offices, you’ll probably speak with a staffer.
- Say your name and mention your hometown.
- If you connect to your Representative…
- Say “I encourage Representative XXX to join the Sudan Caucus and the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission”.
- If you connect to your Senator…
- Say “I urge Senator XXX to Senator to issue a statement on Sudan’s referendum.
This post was co-authored by Allyson Neville-Morgan. Photo by Martha.